Code of Conduct at events [and 1 more messages]

Adrian Bunk bunk at stusta.de
Wed Nov 10 20:46:57 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 11:35:08AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> On 11/10/2010 11:26 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
>
> >My proposal would be rather to write a set of rules that each country
> >has to pass to be eligible to host an event. That would have more sense
> >IMHO, and will be probably more effective.
>
> That is incredibly difficult to evaluate, because you get into
> distinctions between what laws are "on the books" and what laws are
> routinely ignored by authorities, what laws are enforced but *not*
> on the books due to precedent, etc.

You also have the more basic problem of defining the "set of rules".

E.g. I'd strongly support adding "no inhuman punishments like the
capital punishment" to such rules - and that's already fulfilled
in all 47 member states of the Council of Europe (including Russia).

But I'm sure you would never add that to the set of rules for political
and practical reasons.

> -- John

cu
Adrian