Code of Conduct at events [and 1 more messages]

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Nov 11 14:19:06 UTC 2010

Don Armstrong writes ("Re: Code of Conduct at events [and 1 more messages]"):
> Additionally, I am uncertain that a code would have helped mitigate
> this situation. I refuse to believe that the alleged behavior is
> considered acceptable in any extant culture. [Even though I fear it
> may be common.]

In the situation which prompted me to raise this subject, a published
policy would certainly have meant that the conference organisers
wouldn't have washed their hands of the problem as they apparently
did.

If Worldcon had such a policy, Harlan Ellison's behaviour would not
have gone unpunished.  Are you also saying that you refuse to believe
that Harlan's behaviour is considered acceptable in any extant culture ?
Harlan has publicly stated that he thinks it was acceptable!

If Harlan Ellison can get away with it on stage, then drunk or
lecherous idiots in bars will naturally think they can get away with
it too - and the evidence seems to be that, in general, they are
right.  That needs to change.

Ian.