Code of Conduct at events [and 1 more messages]

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri Nov 12 01:44:55 UTC 2010

Ian Jackson <ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> Bill Allombert writes ("Re: Code of Conduct at events [and 1 more messages]"):
> > I disagree. If the conference organisers want to wash there hands of
> > the problem, a written policy will not prevent it.
>
> This is a very strange way of looking at things.  You seem to be
> positing the conference organisers as some kind of evil people who are
> determined to give free reign to thugs and rapists.  I think that's
> far from true.

That's not how I read Bill's statement above. He's not imputing a
determination to give free rein.

Rather, I took Bill's words as accusing conference organisers of no more
than what you say here:

> I think rather that the conference organisers were unexpectedly placed
> in a stressful situation, for which they were unprepared, had not
> previously discussed an approach, regarding which they had not
> previously promised made any public statements, and where anything
> they did (or failed to do) was sure to be strongly criticised. In such
> a situation it is natural human nature to act tentatively if at all,
> and to try to avoid taking responsibility.

I think that's merely a re-statement of what I read in Bill's statement.

And for what it's worth, I agree that a written policy isn't much good
in the face of human ingenuity to avoid responsibility for difficult
situations. So the solution isn't more policy.

--
 \        “It is the responsibility of intellectuals to tell the truth |
  `\                    and to expose lies.” —Noam Chomsky, 1967-02-23 |