2011-02-09 meeting log

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Feb 11 10:35:30 UTC 2011

HIGHLIGHTS

[item 1, Opening]

<bdale> Welcome to today's Software in the Public Interest board of
directors meeting, which is now called to order.  Today's agenda and
details of pending resolutions can be found on the web at:
http://www.spi-inc.org/meetings/agendas/2011/2011-02-09/

[item 2, Roll Call]
20:30:06 <cdlu> David Graham
20:30:09 <schultmc_> Michael Schultheiss
20:30:10 <Ganneff> Joerg Jaspert
20:30:10 <bdale> Bdale Garbee
20:30:11 <Hydroxide> Jimmy Kaplowitz
20:30:23 <zobel> martin Zobel-helas
20:30:33 <Noodles> Jonathan McDowell

[item 3, President's Report]
<bdale> Nothing to report.

[item 4, Treasurer's Report]
<schultmc_> At the 2011-01-12 SPI board meeting, there was a query
around the higher than normal credit card processing fees attributed
to SPI's general expenses during this reporting period.  I contacted
the credit card processing firm and learned that $685.00 of these fees
were for a chargeback against a DebConf professional attendee fee that
the attendee had accidentally paid twice.  This chargeback has been
listed as a Debian expense in the

I also fixed an arithmetic error with The HeliOS Project and Yafaray
balances.

The credit card processing firm also explained how I could get online
access to the chargeback interface to review documentation and dispute
chargebacks if needed.

For this month, a standard report is also in the agenda.

btw, if that first paragraph got truncated it's also in the agenda

<Hydroxide> thanks. might be good to encourage dc11 attendees and
other future payors to SPI to talk to us first, to avoid us building
up a chargeback record but, it's not like it's a frequent problem so
it mostly doesn't matter
<schultmc_> it's both a good suggestion and quite rare

[item 5, Secretary's report]
<Noodles> Nothing to report from me.

[item 6, Outstanding minutes]
voting results for "Minutes for meeting of January 12th, 2011": Yes: 7

[item 7, Items up for discussion]
<bdale> None.

[item 8, Any other business]

<Noodles> There's the issue of debian.eu, which I've raised on the board list.
<zobel> i hadn't had time to phone them, dunno if want to go that way anyway
<Noodles> I think zack needs to ok the expense too, but it can all be
handled offline rather than needing meeting time.

<zobel> b) debian has released last saturday squeeze and a new website

[item 9, Next board meeting]
<bdale> Our next regularly-scheduled monthly meeting will be March
9th, 2010, 20:30 UTC.

TIMED LOG

20:30:02 <bdale> *GAVEL*
20:30:02 <bdale> [item 1, Opening] Welcome to today's Software in the Public Interest board of directors meeting, which is now called to order.
20:30:02 <bdale> Today's agenda and details of pending resolutions can be found on the web at: http://www.spi-inc.org/meetings/agendas/2011/2011-02-09/
20:30:02 <bdale> [item 2, Roll Call]
20:30:04 <bdale> Board members, please state your name for the record.  As we have eight board members, quorum for today's meeting is six.
20:30:05 <bdale> Guests (including board advisors), please /msg your names to Noodles if you wish your attendance to be recorded in the minutes of this meeting.
20:30:06 <cdlu> David Graham
20:30:09 <schultmc_> Michael Schultheiss
20:30:10 <Ganneff> Joerg Jaspert
20:30:10 <bdale> Bdale Garbee
20:30:11 <Hydroxide> Jimmy Kaplowitz
20:30:13 <zobel> gah, needed to change laptop, bb in 1min
20:30:23 <zobel> martin Zobel-helas
20:30:33 <Noodles> Jonathan McDowell
20:30:34 <cdlu> quorum
20:30:42 <bdale> and Joshua sent regrets, right?
20:30:45 <Hydroxide> he did
20:30:46 <schultmc_> yes
20:30:50 <bdale> ok, then that's all accounted for
20:30:55 <zobel> back i am
20:30:58 <bdale> [item 3, President's Report]
20:30:58 <bdale> Nothing to report.
20:30:58 <bdale> [item 4, Treasurer's Report]
20:30:58 <bdale> Michael?
20:31:03 <schultmc_> At the 2011-01-12 SPI board meeting, there was a query around the higher than normal credit card processing fees attributed to SPI's general expenses during this reporting period.  I contacted the credit card processing firm and learned that $685.00 of these fees were for a chargeback against a DebConf professional attendee fee that the attendee had accidentally paid twice.  This chargeback has been listed as a Debian expense in the
20:31:10 <schultmc_> I also fixed an arithmetic error with The HeliOS Project and Yafaray balances.
20:31:13 <schultmc_> The credit card processing firm also explained how I could get online access to the chargeback interface to review documentation and dispute chargebacks if needed.
20:31:16 <schultmc_> For this month, a standard report is also in the agenda.
20:31:18 <schultmc_> </end>
20:31:34 <bdale> cool, that all makes sense
20:31:40 <schultmc_> btw, if that first paragraph got truncated it's also in the agenda
20:31:58 <bdale> any questions?
20:32:08 <Hydroxide> thanks. might be good to encourage dc11 attendees and other future payors to SPI to talk to us first, to avoid us building up a chargeback record
20:32:16 <Hydroxide> but, it's not like it's a frequent problem
20:32:19 <schultmc_> yes
20:32:20 <Hydroxide> so it mostly doesn't matter
20:32:31 <schultmc_> it's both a good suggestion and quite rare
20:32:32 <bdale> we just don't want a lot of them in one month
20:32:34 <Hydroxide> right
20:32:58 <bdale> since we use payment processors and don't do cards directly, that probably helps
20:32:59 <Hydroxide> no other questions from me. thanks for the corrections.
20:33:03 <Hydroxide> sure.
20:33:16 <bdale> ok, I think we can proceed.  Thanks for chasing that down, Michael!
20:33:21 <schultmc_> no problem
20:33:24 <bdale> [item 5, Secretary's report]
20:33:24 <bdale> Jonathan?
20:33:28 <Noodles> Nothing to report from me.
20:33:39 <bdale> [item 6, Outstanding minutes]
20:33:39 <bdale> I believe we have last month's ready to vote on today, right Jonathan?
20:33:57 * Hydroxide is ready to vote, having read them.
20:34:05 <cdlu> ditto
20:34:15 <Noodles> Voting started, 7 people (cdlu,schultmc_,bdale,hydroxide,zobel,noodles,ganneff) allowed to vote on Minutes for meeting of January 12th, 2011. - You may vote yes/no/abstain only, type !vote $yourchoice now.
20:34:19 <schultmc_> !vote yes
20:34:20 <Ganneff> !vote yes
20:34:20 <cdlu> !vote yes
20:34:21 <zobel> !vote yes
20:34:21 <Noodles> !vote yes
20:34:22 <bdale> !vote yes
20:34:30 <Hydroxide> !vote yes
20:34:41 <Noodles> Current voting results for "Minutes for meeting of January 12th, 2011": Yes: 7, No: 0, Abstain: 0, Missing: 0 ()
20:34:44 <Noodles> Voting for "Minutes for meeting of January 12th, 2011" closed.
20:35:04 <bdale> [item 7, Items up for discussion]
20:35:05 <bdale> None.
20:35:14 <bdale> [item 8, Any other business]
20:35:14 <bdale> Do any board members have other items for discussion they would like to address briefly?
20:35:23 <Noodles> There's the issue of debian.eu, which I've raised on the board list.
20:35:42 <Noodles> zobel, did you want to try to ring the current reigstrant before we start the ADR?
20:35:44 <bdale> any actions for us to discuss here today?
20:35:45 <zobel> i hadn't had time to phone them, dunno if want to go that way anyway
20:35:48 <Noodles> Ok.
20:36:18 <bdale> anything else?
20:36:19 <Noodles> I think zack needs to ok the expense too, but it can all be handled offline rather than needing meeting time.
20:36:32 <Hydroxide> indeed, sounds fine
20:36:34 <zobel> they ignored the two letters that we sent anyway
20:36:46 <bdale> I don't think calling them is going to help
20:36:52 <zobel> b) debian has released last saturday squeeze and a new website
20:36:58 <Hydroxide> woo! :-)
20:37:01 <cdlu> woot!
20:37:13 <cdlu> zobel, do you want to write a resolution for action on 1?
20:37:46 <Hydroxide> cdlu: no need for one. we do those too much :)
20:38:04 <zobel> bah, this dsl connection sucks today.
20:38:06 <cdlu> well our resolution passing has thinned out dramatically over the past months ;)
20:38:07 <bdale> I agree.  This is just responding to a service request from the DPL on behalf of Debian.
20:38:15 <cdlu> ok
20:38:26 <Hydroxide> cdlu: it's been discussed enough at past meetings of the board and via emails. if any SPI authority is needed beyond what exists bdale can approve something as president
20:38:44 <bdale> right
20:38:48 * zobel done
20:38:52 <bdale> and if it gets to a lawsuit or something, that's a different thing
20:39:01 <bdale> ok, any other topics?
20:39:03 <Hydroxide> right
20:39:13 <cdlu> are we all happy with bottom-of-the-hour meetings? they work for me.
20:39:22 <bdale> [item 9, Next board meeting]
20:39:22 <bdale> Our next regularly-scheduled monthly meeting will be March 9th, 2010, 20:30 UTC.
20:39:22 <bdale> Any strong objections?
20:39:32 * Hydroxide is fine with this time on march 9
20:39:34 <schultmc_> works for me
20:39:38 <Noodles> I'm more flexible now my Wednesday meeting has moved, so it's fine with me.
20:39:41 <zobel> no, works for me.
20:39:43 <bdale> I should be in my home office
20:39:54 <bdale> ok, then we'll do that
20:39:57 <Hydroxide> cool
20:40:02 <bdale> Ok, thank you to everyone present for participating today.
20:40:02 <bdale> *GAVEL*

Hope that informs,
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for various work http://www.software.coop/products/