Discussion - more information on project pages

Robert Brockway robert at spi-inc.org
Tue Sep 20 18:37:21 UTC 2011

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011, Fabian Keil wrote:

>> (http://www.spi-inc.org/drafts/associated-project-howto/) that includes
>> a list of services that SPI offers.
>
> I'm aware of that, but I always thought the list wasn't complete. Is it?

I think I covered the major services.  Part of the reason I want feedback
is to make sure I didn't miss anything significant.

> It also doesn't mention how a project applies for the services
> (with a few exceptions) and the rules don't seem to be too clear
> to me.

I understand this would generally occur through the liaison requesting
that the board make a particular service available to the project.  The
liaison and the board could then discuss the particulars and move forward
if there was agreement.

> For example I'm currently trying to figure out how to best pay
> the fees for a project domain with the funds SPI holds for the
> project (Privoxy).
>
> The options seem to be:
>
> 3) The domain is transferred to SPI. The process doesn't seem
>   to be documented at all and I assume the domain counts as an
>   asset which may never be transferred back, or to another non-US

This is an option that a number of associated projects use.

You raise an interesting question concerning transfer of domain names
after acceptance by a US 501(c)(3).  I personally can't answer that
question.

>   non-profit. It's also not clear what the costs would be or what
>   happens if the project's funds are suddenly diminished.

An actively used domain name is a valuable asset and it's loss would be
very damaging to an active project.  I would fully support SPI renewing an
actively used domain name in an emergency even if project funds did not
cover the cost at that time.

Having said that, some (all?) registrars allow a domain to be renewed by a
3rd party so I don't believe any active project would be at risk of its
domain name expiring.

> While it seems like an issue many associated projects (or projects
> considering to become one) would have, there doesn't seem to be
> any documentation except for the rather vague list of services.
>
> Therefore I think it would be useful to establish which services
> are the most common ones, to document what a project has to do
> to get them and what the rules and consequences are.

I'd be happy to do a page like this.

Cheers,

Rob

--