Discussion - more information on project pages

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Sep 20 17:03:41 UTC 2011

Fabian Keil writes ("Re: Discussion - more information on project pages"):
> 3) The domain is transferred to SPI. The process doesn't seem
>    to be documented at all and I assume the domain counts as an
>    asset which may never be transferred back, or to another non-US
>    non-profit. It's also not clear what the costs would be or what
>    happens if the project's funds are suddenly diminished.

We should see if we can get some advice on what SPI might be able to
do if a project wanted to disassociate with SPI and have the domain
name transferred to a new entity which might not be in the US or might
not be a formally set up charity.  But even if the registration has to
stay with SPI, we could point the domain to the project's nameservers
in the usual way.

But aside from that question, I think this is a good option.  It's not
expensive since domain registrations aren't, generally.

Ian.