Fwd: Licence Changes and Naming of a Commercial Derivative

Jimmy Kaplowitz jimmy at spi-inc.org
Tue Dec 18 05:33:40 UTC 2012

Hi David,

Cool. Glad you're taking a thoughtful approach. Only a few brief comments left from me:

* Debian is already working with SPI and SFLC on a trademark policy for Debian.
TideSDK does not have to have the same trademark policy as Debian, but looking
at Debian's for ideas is reasonable. A July 2012 draft is at
<http://lwn.net/Articles/509124/>, and you may want to reach out to the Debian
Project Leader (Stefano Zacchiroli <leader at debian.org> or zack on OFTC) and
introduce yourself for further discussions.

* If TideSDK wants to register the trademark via SPI, email legal at spi-inc.org
and CC board at spi-inc.org, but leave off more public lists given that it
involves legal advice. TideSDK would need to have sufficient funds to cover
applicable government filing fees, but SFLC's legal assistance for a task like
this (assuming it stays routine) would not incur a fee. SFLC may also advise if
you prefer to go for an unregistered trademark and want SPI to clearly own it.

* More generally, legal advice on licensing changes for TideSDK, to the extent
it remains free software, should be available via SPI's relationship with SFLC,
as described above. Preserving attorney-client privilege means that your legal
advice communications probably shouldn't be CC'ed as broadly as even
spi-private. They should be restricted to SPI's lawyers (legal at spi-inc.org aka
SFLC), board members, and individuals in TideSDK who need to be in the loop. If
you have more questions about what attorney-client privilege means as applied
to TideSDK and what the impact of not preserving it is... ask the lawyers. :)

* The first time you discuss something with SFLC related to your planned
derivative, be sure they understand your intentions clearly. Not only will it
ensure they give you the best advice, they should know that the TideSDK core
team has multiple distinct roles. In those situations where the interests of
TideSDK are at odds with your derivative or with you as individuals, they would
represent TideSDK. (Similarly, if TideSDK's interests are ever at odds with
SPI, they'd represent SPI. This will hopefully never become relevant.)

OK, not as brief as I thought. Have a good night! :)

- Jimmy