Agenda item for February SPI board meeting

Clint Adams clint at debian.org
Thu Feb 9 03:35:30 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 07:56:45PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> It took me some brainpower because bookkeeping is not the context I
> usually see it in, and I think I've more often seen it called
> emergency incident response plan, but for anyone else as thick as me:
>
> Is DR/BCP a Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity Plan?

Yes, DR and BCP are often conflated.  The former is a plan for
recovery of infrastructure after a disastrous system failure
while the latter tends to focus more on personnel.

So DR might concern itself with what to do if our accounting
system blows up, and BCP might concern itself with what to do
if all the officers get kidnapped by aliens.

The greatest side effect is usually the authorship of
comprehensive and accurate process documentation that can
be used not just for unlikely emergency situations, but
in the case of normal humdrum personnel changes or for
outsiders trying to understand how an organization works.