Open Bioinformatics Foundation as Associated Project

Gregers Petersen glp at openwrt.org
Tue Jun 19 19:10:54 UTC 2012

On 19/06/12 20:12, Josh Berkus wrote:
> SPI members:
>
> The Open Bioinformatics Foundation (OBF)[1] is a currently incorporated
> entity which hosts legal and financial infrastructure for a variety of
> open source bioinformatics projects, including BioPerl, Biojava,
> Biopython, Bioruby, and BioSQL.  They also host the annual Open
> Bioinformatics Conference[2].
>
> As the OBF is currently incorporated as a for-profit corporation, they
> would like to become an SPI Assocaited project preparatory to shutting
> down the for-profit corporation, and to reduce the amount of time their
> volunteers spend doing corporate paperwork.

Very interesting. The potential joining of OBF would bring an addition
of interesting perspectives to SPI.

> The OBF would like to join SPI as a single Associated Project.  Their
> liaison would be chosen by an election substantially similar to their
> current corporate bylaws for election of their president.[3]
>
> As the OBF is a substantial open source project whose goals are in
> alignment with the goals of SPI, I think it makes sense to accept them.
>  In the event that this moves to a board agenda item, the OBF will
> prepare liaison election procedures suitable for their Associated
> membership.
>
> [1] http://open-bio.org/
> [2] http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/BOSC_2012
> [3] http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/File:OBF-Bylaws.pdf

Gregers Petersen
Relationship manager, layer 8 and anthropology
glp on irc

   _______                     ________        __
  |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
  |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
           |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
   ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT (bleeding edge) ----------------
   * 1/4 oz Vodka      Pour all ingredents into mixing
   * 1/4 oz Gin        tin with ice, strain into glass.
   * 1/4 oz Amaretto
   * 1/4 oz Triple sec
   * 1/4 oz Peach schnapps
   * 1/4 oz Sour mix