Encryption Certificates

Jeremy Baron jeremy at tuxmachine.com
Mon Nov 19 01:36:48 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 7:54 PM,  <CACook at quantum-sci.com> wrote:
> Does SPI issue certificates to regular guys?

I'm not sure what you mean by "regular guy". SPI at least does not
issue certs to people who are not associated with SPI or any of it's
associated projects. (AIUI)

> If so, are they accepted by Microsoft products without all kinds of scary
> messages?

AIUI, SPI is in some linux distro's certificate stores at the OS level
(at least Debian && Ubuntu) but not in any stores shipped by browser
upstreams nor any stores at the OS level on non-free operating
systems.

> And if scary messages, can anyone recommend a certifying authority that does
> not generate scary messages?

I think it's probably out of scope for SPI to make such recommendations.

-Jeremy