SPI using Google Apps?

Jimmy Kaplowitz jimmy at spi-inc.org
Sat Oct 13 00:38:35 UTC 2012

Hi Hilmar,

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 05:04:18PM -0400, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
> I was wondering whether SPI, or an SPI-associated project is using Google
> Apps, i.e., has a Google Apps account, and if so, whether it's a Google Apps
> for Non-Profits account.

Since I'm currently employed by Google as my day job, I'm going to limit my
participation in this thread and any resulting decisions.

However, I will provide several current-status facts:

* SPI doesn't currently use Google Apps directly or offer our projects a
  pre-existing relationship with Google Apps, nor has it
  signed up in any way with Google for Nonprofits.
* SPI doesn't forbid SPI-associated projects from using Google Apps, whether
  paid with their project's SPI-held funds, with other funds, or at a free tier.
* Some associated projects might use it already, but my quick spot-check of a
  few projects' MX servers didn't any pointed at Google.
* When SPI is making software decisions, it generally prefers free software.
* SPI-associated projects are not strictly speaking "part" of SPI, nor are they
  acting on SPI's behalf or as SPI's agent. SPI is providing fiscal sponsorship
  services to the projects under certain terms, but they remain independent
  nonprofit unincorporated associations.
* Our projects are free to work with other fiscal sponsors in addition to SPI,
  and some do. They can and do also act as individuals.
* When SPI does something in its role as a project's fiscal sponsor, SPI's
  501(c)(3) status and EIN are relevant to that.
* When a project acts other than via SPI, SPI's 501(c)(3) status and EIN are
  irrelevant.

I'll leave all the subjective aspects of this thread to others.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy at spi-inc.org