Copyright arrangements for a web project

Paul Tagliamonte paultag at debian.org
Thu Dec 12 20:00:31 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 06:35:05PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Of course that only applies to future versions of the GNU GPL.  It's
> not possible to switch from AGPL to GPL (or the other way) with that
> wording.

Indeed, just a datapoint for what other projects do. I'd be fine to
include in my Debian software headers something to the effect of
granting folks the right to relicense under any license the ftp-masters
consider DFSG free. Of course, this leads to a documentation problem, as
I don't think there's a canoincal list. Either way, doing that leads to
new legal language, which I'm not keen to force (but would be happy to
use)

> > I trust Debian with license freeness, and I do also trust SPI as well.
> > I'd be happy to allow them to relicense my work, or even give a list of
> > licenses that it can be used under.
>
> Debian is ill set up to make this decision for other people,
> unfortunately.  You'd have to nominate someone in particular.

Indeed, but the de-jure team that handles this is the ftp-master team,
which I'd be happy to hand control of my code's licensing to. Doubly so
for Debian-related work. Of course, they can be overruled by the
developer body, but saying anything that's been deemed DFSG free by the
project would be good enough for me :)

> Thanks,
> Ian.

Cheers,
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag at debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87