volunteer copyright assignment / licensing agreement

Joerg Jaspert joerg at debian.org
Sun Feb 10 09:26:53 UTC 2013

On 13117 March 1977, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> As it has been requested by Debian contributors, I'd like to know if SPI
> offers the possibility, to contributors of affiliated projects, to
> transfer copyright (or specific rights) to SPI. If yes: how?

Well. Take a look at the footer of a random page on www.debian.org,
packages.debian.org, qa.debian.org and who knows what else, I would say
SPI is already doing that for as long as one can remember...

What we don't have, afaik, is a written agreement from individuals for
that. Just the fact that they, at some point, did the edit for it /
edited pages with that notice. How much that will hold in the end if it
goes to court is a question we might want to check.

> If not: has anyone else here had similar needs in the past? If it is
> going to be offered as a possibility, it seems to me that it'd make
> sense to do it in an uniform manner throughout all affiliated projects.

I think it would be nice to have that stuff specified more formally and
to offer it. I (currently) don't see why SPI shouldn't, just that we
need to check what would be done in case the project wants to leave SPI
and go elsewhere. (IE. the assignment would either stay with us, or
provide us with the right to get that on to suitable others too).

--
bye, Joerg
<Fubak>  /msg NickServ IDENTIFY arschloch