Proposed: Funding Open Source Accounting software

Josh Berkus josh at postgresql.org
Thu May 2 19:43:03 UTC 2013

On 05/02/2013 12:40 PM, Clint Adams wrote:
> On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 11:21:41AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> The Software Freedom Conservancy is proposing to fund the efforts of a
>> full-time software developer to create NPO accounting software which
>> will be completely open source and free.  SPI could really use such
>> software.
>
> Aside from concerns about a 501(c)3 making an unrestricted donation
> to another 501(c)3:

It's not an unrestricted donation.

> What are the relevant factors which would precipitate SPI's switch
> to the new software?

Right now?  Beta-level quality.  Maybe even alpha-level.  Right now
we're using a loose collection of ad-hoc software, none of which is
adequate for our purporses. This adds considerably to Michael's
workload, and introduces significant delays into his ability to produce
financial figures for projects.

> Would it be beneficial to participate in the Phase-0 evaluation?
> If so, how does that work?

Join the linked mailing list.  I already have.

--Josh Berkus