Proposed: Funding Open Source Accounting software

Ean Schuessler ean at brainfood.com
Thu May 2 21:10:47 UTC 2013

Agreed. In the past I had mentioned Apache's Open for Business project.
It does fairly sophisticated accounting as well as multi-facility
inventory management, customer relationship management, tracking project
hours and manufacturing line control. For actual small to medium size
businesses, the ledger is just a part of the problem.

I think one of the largest gaps for new businesses, especially
non-technical ones, is understanding how to get started. Having a LiveCD
with an easy installer that gave you an accounting appliance with one of
these systems could be a big aid. The software is already there, its the
training and packaging that are the big gap. This is why companies like
Quickbooks and Microsoft are able to sell a fairly expensive product
even though there are Free Software equivalents. A "Mom and Pop"
sandwich shop needs something that they can turn on and use.