Proposed: Funding Open Source Accounting software

Clint Adams clint at debian.org
Fri May 3 16:45:53 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 12:43:03PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> It's not an unrestricted donation.

So you're proposing a restricted donation?

> Right now?  Beta-level quality.  Maybe even alpha-level.  Right now
> we're using a loose collection of ad-hoc software, none of which is
> adequate for our purporses. This adds considerably to Michael's
> workload, and introduces significant delays into his ability to produce
> financial figures for projects.

What I meant was: I don't see any requirements from our end. In fact,
this is the first time I'm hearing about inadequacies in our software
solution rather than in process/workflow.  I don't have a clear
understanding of what Conservancy will produce with the donations.
Coupled, those things leave me without an understanding of what
evaluation criteria would be used for SPI to adopt whatever Conservancy's
solution is.

At work (an NPO) we use accounting tools based on hledger.  Would
Conservancy's output be useful to us?  I have no idea.  Would our
tools be useful to SPI?  I have no idea.  Would $10,000 be spent
better in another way more in line with our remit?  I have no
idea.

You and Jimmy seem to be pretty confident about this.  Is it just
because you know Bradley or is there concrete information from which
the rest of us would benefit?

> Join the linked mailing list.  I already have.

I'm on it.