mailing list hosting for SPI projects [rt.spi-inc.org #309]

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at drycafe.net
Fri Nov 22 18:16:02 UTC 2013

On Nov 22, 2013, at 12:20 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> On 11/21/2013 08:18 PM, Robert Brockway wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Nov 2013, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
>>
>>> We (OBF) run a number of mailing lists
>>> (http://lists.open-bio.org/mailman/listinfo), on a server that's long
>>> overdue to be decommissioned. We've been meaning to migrate off of it
>>> for a while.
>>>
>>> Is hosting of mailing lists (mailman specifically, or other list
>>> software that can import from mailman) a service that SPI provides for
>>> associated projects? If so, how do I go about requesting/initiating that?
>
> Do note that Open Source Labs hosts mailing lists for OSS projects.

Right. However, since we have an existing relationship with SPI :-) I thought that's where I should start. I wouldn't find it unreasonable if SPI's position is not to host lists other than for itself, or if SPI partnered with OSL, so that OSL would offer this service for SPI associated projects.

If, however, SPI does provide this service for SPI projects, I'm inclined to take the offer. The expectations Joerg mentioned fully align with ours, and so that would meet our goal of moving our lists to more stable infrastructure.

	-hilmar
: Hilmar Lapp -:- Durham, NC -:- hlapp at drycafe dot net :