Proposed: Funding Open Source Accounting software

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Sun Feb 16 00:09:00 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 04:59:28PM -0500, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 02/15/2014 12:06 PM, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 3 May 2013 04:21, Josh Berkus <josh at postgresql.org> wrote:
> >> The Software Freedom Conservancy is proposing to fund the efforts of a
> >> full-time software developer to create NPO accounting software which
> >> will be completely open source and free.  SPI could really use such
> >> software.
> >> https://sfconservancy.org/campaign/
> >> As such, I propose that we fund this effort using $10,000 out of our
> >> general SPI funds.  I think this is a good idea because: [...]
> >
> > Did anything happen with this? I got the impression there was general
> > support for it on the list, but don't see a resolution to actually do
> > it on
> > http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/resolutions/
>
> It was approved, but I don't know that anyone ever transferred the
> money.  Since I most likely would have been the one to transfer the
> funds, and I haven't, I suspect that they haven't gone anywhere.
>
> Board?

This came up at the meeting this week; we had received some suggested
wording from legal counsel to accompany the donation that would ensure
we were acting within our charter, but we hadn't got as far as passing
this on to the SFC to confirm they were ok with it. I did so a couple of
days ago and assuming they're happy with the text we expect to make
progress shortly.

The vote for the donation wasn't presented as a resolution, but was
dealt with back in August last year:

www.spi-inc.org/meetings/minutes/2013/2013-08-08/

J.

--
If I could, I would, but I can't, so I won't.