SPI resolution 2014-07-07.mzh.1 - The Mana World (TMW) as an associated project

Josh Berkus josh at postgresql.org
Wed Jul 9 20:34:00 UTC 2014

All,

> 1. The Mana World (TMW) is a community based innovative free and open
> source Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG) and is a
> substantial and significant Free Software project.  TMW promotes and and
> increases the use Open Source Software systems available to the general
> public and supports, encourages and promotes the creation and porting of
> its software to new architectures available to the general public.

One note of due dilligence for future, similar proposals:

When inducting game-based software projects, one thing we need to check
for is that there are no aspects of gambling to any hosted instances of
the game run by the project, and that gambling is not enabled as part of
the game code itself (such as by providing a hook for offsite credit
card processing).  This is a requirement of US Federal law restricting
online gambling.

As such, I have looked over the rules and code for The Mana World and am
satisfied that it does not enable online gambling.

So, +1 from me.

--Josh Berkus