Donations to SPI vs associated projects

Joshua D. Drake jd at commandprompt.com
Sun Jul 12 20:29:47 UTC 2015

On 07/12/2015 12:24 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 08:52:20AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> I think we should keep the policy and actually do what it says.
>
> I agree that would be an improvement, but at least this part of the
> policy is too vague to be useful for donors:
>
>>> Donations to SPI that are not marked for a particular project will be
>>> distributed to the projects that are currently affiliated with SPI as
>>> needed, and/or used for SPI's own expenses.
>
> - What are the criteria for deciding on the "and/or"?
> - How would money be distributed among projects?
> - What does it mean "as needed"?

I think this is thinking a bit hard about it. Determining that criteria
really should be a board decision and it could change. Take the
following example:

Let's take Debian and PostgreSQL and let's assume they both have 5000.00.

Debian says, "Hey board, we want to run DebConf but we are short 2k".
PostgreSQL says, "Meh, we are good until next Winter".

The board at that point can determine if it is a worthwhile investment
into Debian.

The reason this works (or at least I know this works) is that is how
PostgreSQL does it. PostgreSQL waits for a request or creates a request
and then makes a decision based on that request. A request can be
created by the project/person in need or by a person who sees a
project/person in need. The SPI board can do the same thing.

Now I do agree that there has to be some guidelines and PostgreSQL does
have some of those:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SponsorShip

But we are in now way limited by that.

> Etc.
>
> I think SPI should just let donors decide to which affiliate project
> donate; serving those projects is the main reason of SPI's existence
> after all.

Actually it isn't.

http://spi-inc.org/corporate/by-laws/

Gives are actual purpose. The affiliated projects are part of that but
in no way limited or the primary purpose. The affiliated project
framework just happens to be the default, mainly due to lack of
resources IMO.

> If SPI needs to increase its own funds, the way to go would

Based on Article Two of the bylaws we absolutely need our own funds.

An idea I have floated a few times is to have a FOSSFest. Now affiliated
projects with financial means (Debian, PostgreSQL, LibreOffice etc..)
would be asked to help but SPI would be the primary driver of such an
event and would use primarily SPI funds.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake