Donations to SPI vs associated projects

Henrik Ingo henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
Tue Jul 14 09:37:43 UTC 2015

It seems both the secretary and chairman hold this view, so who am I
to disagree.

Still, I do have a question and a comment:

I assume this opinion takes into account the plans to hire outside
help for accounting etc work?

If the SPI is sitting on an unnecessarily large pile of cash, a simple
way to get it spent would be to distribute it out to projects (as
suggested by the text shown to donors) is simply to divide the in the
same ratio as how much earmarked donations each project has received
in the previous fiscal year. (E.g. Debian and Postgres would get the
most, etc...) The rationale for this suggestion is that this roughly
correlates with the size and activity of each project, and assuming
that projects spend all of their income, also correlates with their
expenses.

My suggestion can of course be combined with an application based
method of distribution too. That would create a priority order for
spending the funds:
 - cover SPI needs first
 - distribute money for special project needs based on applications
 - share the rest to all, weighted by each projects earmark.

(For disclosure, I'm still the liaison for drizzle, and I don't think
we received any donations in the year just completed, so would not
benefit from the proposed scheme.)

henrik