Donations to SPI vs associated projects

Don Armstrong don at donarmstrong.com
Tue Jul 14 19:59:27 UTC 2015

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 07/12/2015 12:24 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> >- What are the criteria for deciding on the "and/or"?
> >- How would money be distributed among projects?
> >- What does it mean "as needed"?
>
> I think this is thinking a bit hard about it. Determining that
> criteria really should be a board decision and it could change.

Considering that SPI has some reserves now, why don't we try this
process out before changing how SPI has traditionally collected
donations?

If the procedure works, and there are people willing to use it and drive
it, great. That would be an appropriate time to change the donation
procedure or at least suggest that people donate directly to SPI because
it is funding appropriate projects with community oversight.

If it doesn't, then we haven't built up a pool of money which has no
clear purpose.

Some pirates achieved immortality by great deeds of cruelty or
daring-do. Some achieved immortality by amassing great wealth. But
the captain had long ago decided that he would, on the whole, prefer
to achieve immortality by not dying.
 -- Terry Pratchet _The Color of Magic_