Donations to SPI vs associated projects

Robert Brockway robert at spi-inc.org
Mon Jul 20 12:18:46 UTC 2015

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

> The SPI donations page at http://spi-inc.org/donations/ currently
> says:
>
>> These donations can be made to SPI directly, or they can be marked
>> for use by a particular member project.  It is preferred that the
>> donations be made to SPI, as they can then be used wherever the need
>> is greatest. Donations to SPI that are not marked for a particular
>> project will be distributed to the projects that are currently
>> affiliated with SPI as needed, and/or used for SPI's own expenses.
>
> I'm not speaking for the board now, but personally I disagree with
> this policy.

Agreed.

It is notable that this statement is somewhat contradicted by the
Associated Project Howto, which states:

"In either case, it is important that the donor designate that the gift is
to go to the project.  If a gift arrives without a designated project, the
Treasurer will attempt to contact the donor, and if unsuccessful will
place the money in the SPI general fund."

This has certainly been my expectation and I believe is also consistent
with current practice.

Speaking for myself as always.

Cheers,

Rob