Issue #2 - Allow contributions to website from browser

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Sun Aug 14 20:25:58 UTC 2016

On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 11:05:22AM -0400, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> The way one can contribute to SPI's website is explained on
> http://www.spi-inc.org/ :
>
> >This website is managed using ikiwiki+git. You can view the revision
> >history via gitweb <http://git.spi-inc.org/gitweb/?p=website.git> and
> >send any updates, either as a git pull request or a patch, to
> >webmaster at spi-inc.org <mailto:webmaster at spi-inc.org>.
>
> Contributions would be much more appealing if there was a more
> intuitive way to modify, in particular for casual contributors. The
> web interface provided by a wiki or web content management system
> would provide such an appeal. This is a wide request which does not
> demand any particular wiki or CMS. Such a system could replace the
> current website or supplement it, consisting only of new pages.

Contributions to the SPI website went up significantly by moving from
Plone to ikiwiki, and the website became much more current. Empirical
evidence thus suggests we're much better off where we currently are.
Based on experience managing a number of wikis I think the workload
involved in helping people who want to contribute at present but can't
deal with ikiwiki is significantly lower than dealing with an open (or
even approval based) wiki or CMS.

J.

--
"I put it down to corrosive groin sweat myself." -- John Burnham, asr