Voting system for elections

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Thu Aug 18 07:15:26 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 12:57:09PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 10:02:00AM -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > On 7/18/16 9:29 AM, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > > This is especially true given that our variant of Condorcet is still
> > > interpreting a ballot "1. Z  2. X" as not preferring Z or X to Y,
> > > which is IMO an extremely serious deficiency in itself.
> > I was told off-list that this was changed now:
> > https://github.com/u1f35c/spi-members/commit/330e3e0cadbfac6c0ea2421af4e900c6c58bc86d
>
> This seems like it doesn't actually change the way votes are counted,
> though it does do most of the work so that someone can easily make that
> change later? Or am I misunderstanding?

You are correct; there is another change required so that the system
knows a) which voting system is in use for a given vote and b) how many
winners there should be. These changes will also provide the ground work
for adding any other voting system that gets decided on.

J.

--
101 things you can't have too much of : 17 - Money.