Issue #2 - Allow contributions to website from browser

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Fri Aug 19 15:12:56 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 07:40:49AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I just joined OpenSource.org (literally). They use CiviCRM. Looking
> objectively at their site, I have learned more about Open
> Source/FreeSoftware, Community, Licensing, Contributing and events
> than I learned in the entire time I have a been a member of SPI.
>
> I wonder if they have these same issues or if they realized like most
> of the productive world that at some point you compromise for the
> larger goal.

Speaking as a OSI board member (but of course not for the organization
as a whole): we've had so many issues and lost^W invested so much time
in dealing with CiviCRM quirks, that I would trade it with literally
anything else any day.

To be fair though, the content (as opposed to membership management) of
our main website is in plain Drupal, which has served us pretty well. It
has also made it easy to find both volunteers and contractors to develop
a new theme.

The only bottom line here is that you should optimize for the work force
you've at your disposal---be it volunteers or contractors. SPI had
"geeky" people power available and optimized for that. That seems to
have served the organization quite well: both the website and membership
management had been dead for a very long time in the Plone days, with
nobody willing to touch the thing with a ten foot pole, before the
technical revamp that happened in recent years after the switch to
something else.

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli . zack at upsilon.cc . upsilon.cc/zack . . o . . . o . o
Computer Science Professor . CTO Software Heritage . . . . . o . . . o o