Issue #2 - Allow contributions to website from browser

Joshua D. Drake jd at commandprompt.com
Fri Aug 19 15:32:44 UTC 2016

On 08/19/2016 08:12 AM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 07:40:49AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> I just joined OpenSource.org (literally). They use CiviCRM. Looking
>> objectively at their site, I have learned more about Open
>> Source/FreeSoftware, Community, Licensing, Contributing and events
>> than I learned in the entire time I have a been a member of SPI.
>>
>> I wonder if they have these same issues or if they realized like most
>> of the productive world that at some point you compromise for the
>> larger goal.
>
> Speaking as a OSI board member (but of course not for the organization
> as a whole): we've had so many issues and lost^W invested so much time
> in dealing with CiviCRM quirks, that I would trade it with literally
> anything else any day.

FTR: I was not endorsing CiviCRM vs $INSERT-TECH here.

> To be fair though, the content (as opposed to membership management) of
> our main website is in plain Drupal, which has served us pretty well. It
> has also made it easy to find both volunteers and contractors to develop
> a new theme.

Yeah, Drupal for all its quirks is a pretty decent platform. PgUS uses
Drupal and the ability to manage pretty much everything point in click
allows us to focus on what the corporation is actually there for. For
us, the only real downside was we got bit by the 5->6-7 problem but
those problems don't exist for newer versions (they learned).

> The only bottom line here is that you should optimize for the work force
> you've at your disposal---be it volunteers or contractors. SPI had
> "geeky" people power available and optimized for that. That seems to
> have served the organization quite well: both the website and membership
> management had been dead for a very long time in the Plone days, with
> nobody willing to touch the thing with a ten foot pole, before the
> technical revamp that happened in recent years after the switch to
> something else.

Agreed.

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.