Issue #2 - Allow contributions to website from browser

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Sat Aug 20 16:20:47 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 08:55:48PM -0400, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> On 2016-08-14 16:25, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> >Based on experience managing a number of wikis I think the workload
> >involved in helping people who want to contribute at present but
> >can't deal with ikiwiki is significantly lower than dealing with an
> >open (or even approval based) wiki or CMS.
>
> I am not sure what you meant exactly by "deal", but recruitment of
> contributors unable to *use* the current system is not the main
> benefit I see. I was rather seeing a switch as a way to make
> contributing more appealing.

Are you saying that you think people don't contribute because of the
overhead of submitting changes to the ikiwiki+git system, rather than
because they don't understand it?

> As for the workload involved in dealing with wikis or CMS-s, were you
> referring to content administration?

I'm referring to the unfortunate way in which spammers attach themselves
to any uncurated website that allows anonymous or easy registration
submissions. I think we'd spend a lot more time cleaning things up if
the system in use allowed such things, and that the website as a whole
would suffer as a result - the negative impact of having to clean such
things up would seriously outweigh the drive-by improvements from people
who don't want to email webmaster@ or submit a Markdown patch.

J.

--
Revd Jonathan McDowell, ULC | Can I drink your juice?