Issue #2 - Allow contributions to website from browser

Filipus Klutiero chealer at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 13:58:28 UTC 2016

Hi Neil,

On 2016-08-23 11:00, Neil McGovern wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 09:02:22PM -0400, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
>> On 2016-08-20 12:20, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
>>> Are you saying that you think people don't contribute because of the
>>> overhead of submitting changes to the ikiwiki+git system, rather than
>>> because they don't understand it?
>> Not exactly. I am saying that people would contribute more if:
>>
> Perhaps a bit of history may or may not be useful, as I was the one who
> installed plone.
>
> When I initially joined SPI, the entire site was run using a similar
> system that Debian uses - wml.

Thank you, I had forgotten that too. The Wayback machine does show that SPI switched to Plone in August 2006.

>   Thus, I decided along similar lines, with a similar lack of
> evidence, that a lower barrier to entry would encourage more people to
> contribute to the site.
>
> In hindsight, I was wrong. The number of contributors didn't magically
> increase because someone could type stuff in to a text box and have that
> submitted to review. It didn't increase because there wasn't the number
> of people who were willing to create content, and those who were didn't
> like dealing with a CMS.

Not sure what you mean. Few contributors like dealing with whatever publishing system is in place. Of course reducing the barriers does not necessarily mean there will be an increase in the number of contributors.

> After I left the board, SPI moved to ikiwiki. This has a number of
> advantages over both plone and wml, and more importantly, is the choice
> of workflow from people who actually contribute.

What do you mean by "is the choice of workflow from people who actually contribute"?
> The amount of extra
> overhead from running a CMS system (which is considerable) [...]

What kind of overhead are you referring to?

> I'd urge the board to concentrate on things that matter to member
> projects [...]

This is a little vague, but if you have concrete suggestions, thanks for proposing these in a different topic.

--
Filipus Klutiero
http://www.philippecloutier.com