[Spi-private] Very long wait for funds transfer

Joshua D. Drake jd at commandprompt.com
Thu Dec 15 23:11:34 UTC 2016

On 12/15/2016 02:29 PM, Philip Balister wrote:
> Everyone wants a solution. Is there anything we can do to help resolve
> the issue?

A big help I think would be to use modern infrastructure. Up until
recently SPI used a spreadsheet to manage finances. We are now using Ledger.

We could empower a Treasurer's committee of the board (TCB) that has the
power to perform reimbursements.

We could have an application that allows Reimbursements and the required
documents to be uploaded and stored in a queue for processing by the TCB.

	* This could be configured similar to RT but instead of a single queue,
have a queue per project.

	* Perhaps sign a member of each the TCB to a group of projects and it
is their responsibility?

We could use modern infrastructure for payments.

	* Paypal
	* Google Wallet
	* Venmo
	* Xoom
	* USForex

Even if we don't have the TCB have authority over payments. We could
have the TCB be in charge of all pre-auth. In short, before the
transaction gets to the Treasurer, the TCB makes sure that the Treasurer
has *everything* they need to just make the payment.

The short (not easy) route would be to hire staff but:

	* We need someone to manage that staff (not impressed with that idea
with the current board performance *on this specific topic*)

	* Find someone who is willing to interface with Ledger. If I was a
professional book keeper I would laugh my way out of the room if you
told me that was what I was going to be using.

Here is the short and blunt skinny for me. Command Prompt is a 7 figure
company. We process hundreds of invoices a month. We process multiple
dozens of payments. We process multiple full accounting including
payroll, bank rec, collections etc... We have dozens of vendors and
hundreds of customers.

We do that with *one*, *part-time*, *accountant*.

How? Modern and collaborative infrastructure.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

                         +1-503-667-4564