New member process performance and issues (Fwd: SPI Member application for Filipus Klutiero)

Filipus Klutiero chealer at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 15:31:23 UTC 2016

Hi,
On 2015-06-28, I applied for SPI membership. I did not obtain any
followup until 2016-02-03, when I received the forwarded mail.

After such a delay, my interest in SPI was low. I thought that was a big
incident, and felt comforted to think that the processing time for my
application was not representative. I thought my application would now
be processed swiftly.

Yesterday, my application, managed by Martin Zobel-Helas, was finally
processed, and I was invited to vote in the 2016 board election, which
revived my interest in SPI and prompted me to visit its discussion
forums. To my surprise, I could not find any mention of the issue
discovered in February, even checking on spi-general (although there are
a couple of mails titled "New members website / inactive contributing
member cleanup", which, while they apparently do not treat this issue,
seem related). This is why I am hereby forwarding the mail I received in
February, even though I have no idea how many applications were affected.

I rarely apply for membership in a software project, but it was
unprecedented for me to apply to an opaque process like the SPI's
without being requested to do so. I wanted to send a mail to report my
experience, but I now realize that SPI actually has statistics about the
process's performance on https://members.spi-inc.org/stats

These statistics follow:

NC Applicants Pending Email Approval 	a
NC Members 	b
Contrib Membership Applications 	c
Contrib Members 	d
Application Managers 	11

I do not precisely understand what each of these metrics means, but this
would certainly be most relevant for those wondering whether they should
apply for membership. Unfortunately, this page is not accessible when
not logged in. Could this be intentional?