Voting system for elections

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Mon Jul 18 13:38:36 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 02:29:27PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> I see we are still using Condorcet for the board elections.
>
> As has been discussed here many times previously, Condorcet is a bad
> system for multi-seat elections.  Rather than electing a board whose
> composition reflects, proportionately, the views of the electorate,
> the majoritarian or consensus candidates (as applicable) will sweep
> the board.
>
> I have previously proposed that we should drop Condorcet in favour of
> the Single Transferrable Vote.
>
> Last time we had this conversation we got bogged down in a pile of
> voting system wonkery.

Part of the problem is that this discussion only ever comes up during an
actual election process, when there is no possibility of a change being
made.

I don't have any objections to a change to STV; it might be interesting
to run previous votes through it to see how the outcome might have
differed. I don't have spare tuits at present[0] but if anyone wants to
provide some Python to implement an STVVS to match CondorcetVS I can
look at running.

J.

[0] Currently on backorder, expected in September.

--
She's the one for me. She's all I really need, oh yeah.