SPI resolution 2016.05.01.bg.1: ArduPilot as associated project

Martin Zobel-Helas zobel at spi-inc.org
Tue May 10 21:24:38 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Thu May 05, 2016 at 16:30:12 -0600, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> Please add this resolution to our May agenda.
>
> ArduPilot is a well-known project delivering a suite of autopilot
> software for autonomous planes, copters, and rovers.  The primary web
> site is at ardupilot.org.
>
> ArduPilot participates as a member project of the Linux Foundation
> Dronecode community, which has web content at dronecode.org.
>
> Bdale
>

> SPI resolution 2016.05.01.bg.1
>
> WHEREAS
>
> 1. ArduPilot is a substantial and significant Free Software project.
>
> 2. The ArduPilot developers would like SPI's support and assistance,
>    including taking donations.
>
> THE SPI BOARD RESOLVES THAT
>
> 3. ArduPilot is formally invited to become an SPI Associated Project,
>    according to the SPI Framework for Associated Projects, SPI Resolution
>    1998-11-16.iwj.1-amended-2004-08-10.iwj.1, a copy of which can be found
>    at http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/resolutions/2004/2004-08-10.iwj.1/
>
> 4. Andrew Tridgell is recognised by SPI as the authoritative decision
>    maker and SPI liaison for ArduPilot.  Successors will be appointed by a
>    vote on the ArduPilot development team mailing list
>    ardupilot-dev-team at googlegroups.com. Communication by SPI to the
>    ArduPilot dev team leads (including the liason) can be made by email to
>    ardupilot.devel at gmail.com.
>
> 5. This invitation will lapse, if not accepted, 60 days after it is
>    approved by the SPI Board.

I would like to see something like the following added to the resolution:

6. In the event that the ArduPilot dissolves without defining what
   SPI shall do with the managed assets or the ArduPilot becomes
   provable uncontactable for SPI, the board reserves the right to assign
   those assets to it's general fund.

That maybe needs a bit of rewording as i am not a native english
speaker, but i hope everyone gets what i mean here.

For those who are wondering, why i want this added: During our face2face
meeting earlier this year we were advised by SFLC to add a paragraph
like this to every future resolution. Otherwise if a project goes MIA or
even dissolves without giving us any notice, we cannot take their money
or other assets and use them for something else.

Martin
--
 Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel at spi-inc.org>
 Software in the Public Interest, Inc. | Member of the Board of Directors