SPI bylaws overhaul: Board Attendence

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at drycafe.net
Thu Nov 17 14:57:17 UTC 2016

In general I'm a believer in the statement that action (and inactions) speak louder than words. If a Board member misses a majority of Board meetings _without notice_, I think it's entirely fair to treat that as a statement from that Board member that they're disengaging.

Disengagement could be because someone's interests or life priorities have changed, and if so, it's i would think best for everyone to acknowledge that and draw the consequences. Disengagement could, however, also be because the way the Board works doesn't work anymore for that Board member. In that case, it may be worth discussing whether the Board can work differently so everyone can engage, rather than triggering a resignation process.

I guess that's a long way of saying that this is much better dealt with in a policy than the bylaws.

-hilmar

Sent from away