Staff Work WAS: SPI bylaws overhaul: Board Attendence

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Fri Nov 18 13:36:46 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 12:04:20PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I don't know that it matters. Officers of a corporation should be
> compensated. It is also normal for established non profits to do so (See
> Python Foundation).

there are many normal things which totally suck.

> Of course we could get into a discussion as to the motivational quality of a
> dollar but I don't know if that would produce a productive result.

so discussing $thing can result in demotivation and other unproductive
results, so instead of discussing $thing you just want to do $thing &
magically hope that those bad effects dont occur then? I expect doing
$things to have even bigger impact than just discussing $those things.

creating paid jobs can very well kill effectivly kill the volunteers.
as long as the former-volunteers are paid, this might work short term,
but IME once the payment stops, the now former volunteers do not become
volunteers again.

--
cheers,
	Holger