Debian trademark, EAN, proposed letter, SPI heads-up

Guillem Jover guillem at debian.org
Thu Aug 31 15:11:32 UTC 2017

Hi!

On Thu, 2017-08-31 at 15:19:18 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Debian would like to sign, jointly with SPI, a letter stating that we
> do not intend to apply for EANs.  A draft of the letter is below.

> === draft letter ===
[…]
>    4. Debian do not anticpate this situation changing in the next 2
>    years.  Specifically, we do not expect to be issuing EANs within the
>    next 2 years.
[…]

> === email from trading platform support desk to a Debian vendor ===
>
>    From: Support Vendeur ****
>    To:***
>    Subject: RE:[CASE ****] Demande de courrier
[…]
>    You also need to prove a letter coming from your manufacturer that
>    states those facts:
[…]
>    -your manufacturer is not going to buy any EAN code during the 2 next
>    years.
[…]

I'm not sure whether this is splitting hairs, but wouldn't issuing a
letter stating those 2 years make any similar request in the near
future that demands a 2 years span, require reissuing a new letter?
Perhaps it should be 3 or 4 years instead? One possible problem is that
this means we cannot change our minds for a "long" time if need be, but
I think there is indeed consensus that we'd not want to do that. But of
course with these things you never know what will happen in 1 year! :)

Thanks,
Guillem