2017 update to the SPI voting algorithm for Board elections [and 1 more messages]

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Mon Feb 27 18:58:23 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 06:09:21PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Dimitri John Ledkov writes ("2017 update to the SPI voting algorithm for Board elections"):
> > The board recognizes the deficiencies of the current voting algorithm
> > utilized for Board elections as being inappropriate for multi-seat
> > elections. After careful consideration, we recognize and acknowledge
> > the evidence presented and we support updating the voting algorithm.
> 7. We expect that the practical implementation will be by means of
>    OpenSTV, for example the openstv package in Debian.  However, any
>    differences between the Rules in the Order, and the implementation
>    in OpenSTV (or other software), are to be resolved in favour of the
>    Rules.

Given that we have an existing web based voting application that is
written in Python it would be preferable for any new vote counting
system to function within this framework. It's not clear to me that this
is the case with OpenSTV, nor that it's desirable to specify the
software means to achieve the desired goal as part of the board
resolution.

(I'm prepared to try and author a suitable ScottishSTV implementation
that fits in the current framework, but it will require either [or
ideally both] careful code review by someone else or a comprehensive set
of test vectors to provide confidence I have done so correctly.)

J.

--
... Where's your fishing rod, lawn ornament?