Voting system R&D (Re: 2017 update to the SPI voting algorithm for Board elections)

Luca Filipozzi lfilipoz at emyr.net
Thu Mar 2 20:29:01 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 07:18:06PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> The choice of voting system should not be left to the Secretary.  Currently,
> the proposal is to have the Board select STV.  If a future Board wants to
> change its mind and select something else in future, then that is quite
> possible.[1]

> [1] Personally I think the voting system should be entrenched in the bylaws
> but I have given up trying to persuade people that the Board election system
> should be defended against the Board.

We discussed the awkwardness of the Board setting the rules for electing the
Board, which is why I suggested during the recent Board meeting that we ask you
to draft the resolution.

Once the proposed revisions to the By-Laws pass, we can start talking about
adding language regarding Board composition and/or Board voting algorithm.

Luca

--
Luca Filipozzi