Voting system R&D (Re: 2017 update to the SPI voting algorithm for Board elections)

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Sat Mar 11 02:21:10 UTC 2017

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017, Josh berkus wrote:

> On 03/07/2017 10:29 AM, Josh berkus wrote:
>> But STV is still a "single-winner" system.  Any multi-winner
>> implementation of it we choose would *still* be experimental
>
> Aha, just found the multi-winner math for STV.   Please ignore this part
> of my arguments.  The other parts still apply.

Not sure how many people are aware of this but the Australian Senate
has been using multi-winner STV since 1948.  The state of Tasmania has
been doing the same since 1907.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_and_use_of_the_single_transferable_vote#Australia

There has been plenty of discussion in Australia about the pros and cons
of this system going back more than a century.

Cheers,

Rob