MediaWiki (Re: Issue #2 - Allow contributions to website from browser)

Philippe Cloutier chealer at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 16:24:19 UTC 2017

> The way one can contribute to SPI's website is explained on
> http://www.spi-inc.org/ :
>
> [...]
>
> Wikis often use an engine-specific markup language to store page contents.
> One wiki engine which does that and whose language already benefits from an
> important diffusion among potential contributors is MediaWiki. MediaWiki
> allows contributors to propose a new version of a page which then needs to
> be approved before publication, but only with the FlaggedRevs extension.
> MediaWiki is unfortunately not in Debian testing currently.

MediaWiki is back in testing, and even back in Debian stable, though
only version 1.27, released on 2016-06-28.

That being said, I have had to do some engine administration on
MediaWiki 1.27 since, and I should say it was fairly complicated to
configure it for a typical case (no anonymous access to any page
except viewing the homepage, confirmation required after
registration).

Probably not a significant cost for SPI, but the product may not be
that mature yet, or it really doesn't do much to serve needs other
than Wikimedia's.