SPI resolution 2017-10-12.mzh.1: Supporting FSFE's "Public Money, Public Code" campaign

Josh berkus josh at postgresql.org
Fri Oct 13 18:12:47 UTC 2017

On 10/13/2017 03:09 AM, Fabian Keil wrote:
>> THE BOARD RESOLVES THAT
>>
>> 1. SPI agrees to be listed as a Supporting Organization of the "Public
>> Money, Public Code" compaign.
> How does SPI or SPI member projects or free software in general
> benefit from this?

I wanted to address this one point.  The benefit is that governments
which adopt a "public code" policy will be contributing to the free
software commons and thus benefitting the FOSS ecosystem.  Some
governments might be contributing directly to some of our member
projects.  For example, I know quite a few government agencies use
either Debian, PostgreSQL, or both.

For that matter, a few of our member projects *originated* as
government-funded code.

I have no opinions on the FSFE.

--Josh