Debian trademark, EAN, proposed letter, SPI heads-up

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Apr 19 12:53:34 UTC 2018

Ian Jackson writes ("Debian trademark, EAN, proposed letter, SPI heads-up"):
> We (Debian, me specifically) are about to ask Free Software
> Conservancy for legal advice - specifically whether there is anything
> wrong with this proposed letter.

I am picking this up again now after a long delay.  Sorry about that.
We had a reply from Conservancy.  They weren't able to offer us formal
legal advice.  On an informal basis they did say that they didn't see
anything wrong with the letter, but cautioned us that they weren't
experts in the relevant areas of law or the relevant jurisdictions.

Personally I am sufficienty reassured that we should draft this
letter.  The DPL delegated this matter to me, but: Chris, are you now
content ?  Would you be happy with me putting my name on the bottom of
this letter ?

SPI: are you willing to have the SPI Secretary sign this letter ?  If
not, who should we ask for further legal advice ?  Michael Schultheiss
suggested SFLC but I don't think that any involvement of Debian or SPI
with SFLC is or would be appropriate.

If this all meets with everyone's approval I will make a nice-looking
pdf, with some logos, for the SPI Secretary and me to sign and scan.
We can then put the final scan on our website somewhere.

Thanks,
Ian.