SPI credit cards for regular billing, specifically AWS costs

Neil McGovern neilm at debian.org
Sat Feb 24 11:26:55 UTC 2018

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 04:51:03PM +0000, Peter Cock wrote:
> If anyone has recently been successful in received AWS credits
> for running infrastructure for a non-profit or open source project,
> I'd be interested to learn more.

I've recently done this for the GNOME Foundation, it's fairly
straightforward and takes about a week from scratch to completion, but
is indeed a per-organisation thing.

Firstly, you need to register with TechSoup (https://www.techsoup.org/)
who verify your 501(c)(3) status. That then gives you discounts on a
number of products, including AWS credits. You can receive $2000 USD
worth, and they last 1 year. You can re-apply each year. There's an
administration fee of $175 USD, but read below.

It's worth noting that there's a TechSoup discount scheme called Boost,
which gives further discounts on the administration fee charged. This
costs $79 USD for a year, and lowers the AWS admin fee to $80 USD, so is
worth while going for. This assumes that the operating budget is less
than $500k USD.

Shout if you want more details.

Neil