Candidate question re: SPI Board election

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at drycafe.net
Fri Jul 13 16:28:17 UTC 2018

I notice that Michael Schultheiss, currently holding the office of SPI Treasurer and whose term on the Board is expiring, is running for re-election. I believe firmly that those stepping up to volunteer for leadership positions in their non-profit open-source communities deserve special recognition and kudos, and therefore Michael, I applaud your long service to the SPI on top of the many other communities you are active in.

I also firmly believe that volunteer-run organizations do best when we’re all honest with ourselves. I have had to painfully learn the lesson myself that when in volunteer leadership roles, we need to recognize when we don’t have the means or time to reliably follow through on commitments we would nevertheless love to make out of dedication to the respective organization, and that failing to doing so ultimately does more harm than good.

As many here are probably well aware, the SPI Treasurer office has in recent years frequently not been able to conduct even simple tasks in a way that would ensure or even only reliably communicate or update expectations for completion. (I say this in the belief that what OBF as an associated project has experienced is similar to, and not substantially different, from what others have.)

Michael, since you are silent on this in your candidate statement, I’d like to ask the following questions here, and look forward to your responses.
(1) If elected, would you continue the office of SPI Treasurer? If yes,
(2) What changes do you plan to make that you believe will return the SPI Treasurer office (arguably one of SPI’s most important from an associated project’s perspective) to providing functional and timely service and communication.

Thanks,

  -hilmar
--
Hilmar Lapp -:- lappland.io