Resolution 2018-09-08.jrk.1: ProteanOS as associated project

Jimmy Kaplowitz jimmy at spi-inc.org
Sat Sep 8 16:39:44 UTC 2018

I'm proposing this resolution for the September 10 meeting. It's
slightly last-minute, but I doubt it should be controversial in any way
besides that (hence my use of spi-general).

Proposing to proceed despite the timeline because the discussions with
the project only just recently reached the point where a resolution is
warranted and they have a donor offering to pay them a large
contribution in the next week or two.

Should there arise any controversy or other reason to hesitate, we can
use email voting once that's resolved, or if necessary defer to October.
But for me, their impending donation makes these fallback options.

Resolution 2018-09-08.jrk.1: ProteanOS as associated project

WHEREAS

1. ProteanOS is a substantial and significant Free Software project,
namely a GNU/Linux distribution primarily targeted embedded devices,
and has been endorsed as fully free by the Free Software Foundation.

2. The ProteanOS developers would like SPI's support and assistance,
including accepting donations and holding funds.

THE SPI BOARD RESOLVES THAT

1. ProteanOS is formally invited to become an SPI Associated Project,
according to the SPI Framework for Associated Projects, SPI Resolution
1998-11-16.iwj.1-amended-2004-08-10.iwj.1, a copy of which can be found
at https://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/resolutions/2004/2004-08-10.iwj.1/

2. Patrick McDermott is recognised by SPI as the initial authoritative
decision maker and SPI liaison for systemd.

3. If the last known SPI liaison for ProteanOS is missing in action, and
no new SPI liaison is appointed for two consecutive years, the
associated project is deemed defunct. The defunct project's assets may
be transferred to a nominated US 501(c)(3) charity or to the SPI general
fund.

4. This invitation will lapse, if not accepted, 60 days after it is
approved by the SPI Board.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy at spi-inc.org