[RESULT] Replace the bylaws of Software in the Public Interest

Philippe Cloutier chealer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 02:56:32 UTC 2019

Hi Hilmar,

On 19-04-15 12 h 32, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
> It seems the current language of the section on amending the bylaws in essence require at least (= in the best case, i.e., 100% approving votes) a two thirds quorum for any (substantive, i..e., beyond listing of current officers) changes to the bylaws to pass. Even if that’s not what it states, it’s what the language effectively results in; though the fact that it does not mention putting into effect a quorum makes one wonder whether this was indeed the intended effect of those who originally wrote it.
>
> A two thirds quorum of the full membership is highly unlikely to ever be reached, so there’s the potential here that SPI will be forever locked into the current version of the bylaws. (I suppose the only way out would be to dissolve and re-incorporate?)
>
> Perhaps it would be better to divide the proposed changes into two steps. The first would be to _only_ alter the section on bylaws amendments to establish a more reasonable (i.e., realistically attainable) quorum. This would hopefully constitute a small and focused enough change that those unable to invest the necessary time to fully understand a much more complex set of changes to review it, form an opinion, and vote. Once that’s enacted, the more complex set of changes can be brought up for a vote, and getting that approved then doesn’t force nearly everyone to choose between spending a significant amount of time on really understanding the proposed changes, or casting an uninformed vote, or by abstaining effectively casting a disapproving vote.

The possibility you mention is "interesting", and your suggestion would be a great solution to that problem. However, considering that only 20 approvals were missing out of 216 contributing members, I am quite skeptical that this is needed. I setup a quick poll on http://www.philippecloutier.com/SPI+bylaws to estimate how many contributing members regret not having voted.

It would by the way be great to use "continual consideration" for timeless proposals like this one so there is no need to restart a vote from 0 if only a few votes are missing.

--
Philippe Cloutier
http://www.philippecloutier.com