Resolution 2019-05-25.jrk.1: Removing Jenkins as associated project

Adrian Bunk bunk at stusta.de
Mon Jun 3 14:53:49 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 12:15:53PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> But the final arrangements for the transfer, when they are known,
> should be put to the board for a confirmatory vote.  At that point we
> will know exactly what the proposed transferee is and the SPI board
> (and indeed the membership) can decide whether it is an appropriate
> recipient - and its appropriateness might involve ethical or political
> questions as well as legal ones.
> While it may be lawful for SPI to transfer charitable assets to
> another charity which spends those charitable funds on
> legally-charitable purposes but at the direction of for-profit
> corporations, it is not clear to me that it is ethically appropriate
> for SPI to make such a transfer.

These are the assets of the associated project that are only held in
trust by SPI.

It would be unethical if the board or membership of SPI would refuse
a lawful transfer for political reasons.

It would also set a dangerous precedent if the personal opinions of
SPI members could result in withholding of assets from projects.

> Ian.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.