Resolution 2018-07-11.mm.1: Arch Linux 32 as associated project

Jimmy Kaplowitz jimmy at spi-inc.org
Sat Mar 2 17:35:53 UTC 2019

Hi Ian,

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 11:34:05AM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> How about the following alternative standard wording:
>
>   3. If the last known SPI liaison for Arch Linux 32 is missing in
>   action, and no new SPI liaison is appointed for two consecutive
>   years the associated project is deemed defunct.
>
>   The SPI Board will try to identify a similar successor project; SPI
>   will transfer the assets to the successor's US charity, or hold them
>   in trust for the successor.  Failing that the assets will become
>   part of the SPI general fund.

I mostly agree with the goal of this clarification, but I think this
wording for the final paragraph is slightly more aligned with the
precise legal specifics:

In such a circumstance, the SPI Board will, in its good-faith
discretion, proceed as follows: the Board will identify one or more
other SPI associated projects or 501(c)(3) charities which can accept
the project's assets and use them for a similar purpose, and transfer
the assets to the identified destination or destinations as feasible.
Assets for which no such transfer can be arranged within a reasonable
time will become part of the SPI general fund.

How does that sound? I realize that "within a reasonable time" relies on
the discretion noted at the start of my proposed paragraph, but so does
your wording (e.g. "try to identify" / "failing that").

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy at spi-inc.org