Issue #15 - Misleading "Linux" link on /projects/debian/

Philippe Cloutier chealer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 23:36:10 UTC 2019

Thank you Luca,

On 03/10/2019 01:09, Luca Filipozzi wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 10:05:08PM -0400, Philippe Cloutier wrote:
>> http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/debian/ contains:
>>
>>> Debian uses the Linux <https://www.linux.com/> kernel (the core of an
>>> operating system), but most of the basic OS tools come from the GNU
>>> project <https://www.gnu.org/>; hence the name GNU/Linux.
>> While the second link expectedly brings to gnu.org, the first one goes to
>> linux.com, a website of "The Linux Foundation", which contains a "What is
>> Linux?" page: https://www.linux.com/what-is-linux
>>
>> That page is very confusing, giving 2 contradictory definitions of "Linux":
> SPI has no control over the content on https://www.linux.com or
> https://linuxfoundation.org/projects/linux. Both websites belonging to
> The Linux Foundation. Please contact them with editorial suggetions.

Looking at https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/contact/ it seems the
issue tracker of The Linux Foundation requires an account just to verify
that this wasn't already reported, so I will not do that, but if someone
has an account, it would be good to check.

However, the SPI side should be reconsidered first. The current phrasing
seems to say the Linux kernel is the core of all operating systems,
which is obviously wrong. In fact, even Debian does not necessarily have
Linux as its kernel, as Debian's website shows. This part was probably
written a while ago, but nowadays even Debian's homepage does not say a
word about Linux.

I believe SPI should defer to Debian to explain such complicated stuff,
and focus on stuff which matters to potential users, like Debian's user
base / market share or what it offers. Rather than pretending Debian
works on "your computer" (as if everyone still had a single computer),
explain what computers Debian supports or does not support.

So there are at least 2 ways to avoid getting The Linux Foundation involved:
1. Do not refer to Linux
2. Remove the link on "Linux" (and possibly add another link now or
later if we find an appropriate one)

--
Philippe Cloutier
http://www.philippecloutier.com