Issue #15 - Misleading "Linux" link on /projects/debian/

Philippe Cloutier chealer at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 11:48:08 UTC 2019

Hi Luca,

On 05/10/2019 14:32, Luca Filipozzi wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 05, 2019 at 11:12:27AM -0400, Philippe Cloutier wrote:
>>> I'm fairly confident that it was Debian folks that provided that content
>>> in the first place. I'm happy to ask the liaison for updated text.
>> Sorry, what I meant was that SPI's website should let Debian's website get
>> into implementation details. As soon as a description has made it clear
>> where a project stands relative to other associated projects, I think it has
>> enough information. The only value I could see in putting more information
>> on SPI's website would be to publish a view without the project's bias, but
>> I don't think Debian is trying to hide its usage of Linux.
>>
>> P.S. I didn't mean to say the issue was just SPI's fault - it could very
>> well be that such a text came from Debian, but removal remains one way to
>> solve the issue (although I agree that all other things being equal, the
>> more the associated project agrees with our description, the better).
> I undestood you.  My point is that the description of a project on the
> SPI website should be provided, ideally, or be approved by the project
> liaison.

As I wrote, I agree with that, particularly regarding validity. However,
removing detail should not make a description less valid. In fact, as I
suggested, removing this specific information could now arguably even
increase validity.

> I happen to know enough about Debian to write, I hope, a good
> description.  This isn't true of the other projects and I would seek out
> their liaisons.

I am extremely knowledgeable about Debian and happen to have been an
important member of its communication team for years. I am not saying
that removal is best, but I can assure you it is a valid option.

Anyway, I am not sure what you are arguing, but at this point, it may be
best to clarify your claim. Do you think Debian provided just the
description's text, or its exact content, including the links? I would
be rather surprised if they provided that exact content considering that:
1. Their homepage includes more details than that about Debian, but
nothing about Linux.
2. The "Linux" link in the detailed description of Debian on Debian's
website (https://www.debian.org/intro/about) points to kernel.org, not
to linux.com. By the way, I find a link to kernel.org there more
appropriate, though I am not sure a link to kernel.org's homepage is
really useful.

--
Philippe Cloutier
http://www.philippecloutier.com